Workshops Proposals must be submitted online. When your submission is complete, your proposal will be automatically forwarded to the Workshop Chair. The Workshop Chair will review your proposal and make a decision as to whether to accept, reject, or amend it. If your proposal is accepted, then you are expected to deliver the workshop and register as a participant at the 25th BCCE.
Workshop leaders will sign and submit a workshop Safety Agreement by 20 April 2018 . The 25th BCCE reserves the right to levy a participant fee of $10.00 in addition to that charged by the workshop host.
Workshop offerings will begin 9:00 AM Sunday, 29 July 2018 and end at noon Thursday, 2 August 2018 . Workshop leaders who have a Sunday or Monday workshop are strongly encouraged to arrive on campus Friday, 27 July 2018 in order to prepare for their workshop. Workshops can be scheduled for 1.5 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour (half-day) or 6 hour (full-day) blocks. Please indicate this information on the Workshop proposal site.
1. The call for workshops opens 10 June 2017 and closes 4 December 2017. Workshop acceptance/denial notices will be sent by 15 December 2017.
2. All workshop leaders and co - leaders must pay the 25th BCCE registration fee.
3. All workshop participants must pay the 25th BCCE registration fee. Registration opens 16 February 2018.
4. All workshops should include active - learning and/or guided inquiry methods of instruction. Workshops should not rely solely on traditional passive lecture methods .
5. In order for a workshop leader to be reimbursed for the expenses associated with delivering the workshop, the workshop leader must submit receipts for materials, etc. to the 25th BCCE General Chair by NOON, 2 August 2018 at the Conference Office in McKenna Hall/Conference Center. Workshop leaders may not charge the 25th BCCE or their workshop participants expenses associated with the leader's travel, lodging, food or the BCCE registration fee. Workshop leaders will not be reimbursed by the 25th BCCE for any of these or other person al expenses.
6. Workshop leaders are responsible for arranging for all of the materials (hand-outs, activities, etc.) necessary for the workshop to arrive in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Notre Dame by Friday, 20 July, 2018. Works hop materials need to be sent to the following address: DeeAnne Goodenough, c/o 25th BCCE Workshop, (Your Name and Workshop Number) , 236 Jordan Hall, Notre Dame, IN 46556. We recommend that you send material using Registered U.S. Mail, FedEx, or UPS so you can track the package yourself.
7. Workshop leaders are responsible for arranging for all materials (hand-outs, activities, etc.) left at the end of the workshop to be shipped back to their institution, home, company, etc. Please have pre-paid US Mail, UPS, FEDEX, etc. mailing labels prepared prior to coming to the 25th BCCE. Materials left at ND will be discarded. Workshop leaders are responsible for returning the room they are using in good, clean condition at the end of their workshop.
8. Workshop leaders are responsible for the preparation of all materials (hand-outs, activities, etc.) necessary for the workshop. The 25th BCCE will provide a preparation area. The workshop preparation area will be available Friday, 27 July through Sunday, 29 July 2018 from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM each day. We will post the hours of operations of this room for other days of the 25th BCCE . If you need to make copies of hand-outs there is a copy facility located on the lower level of the LaFortune Student Center .
9. If a workshop involves chemicals, workshop leaders are responsible for the preparation and proper disposal of all chemicals necessary for the workshop. The 25th BCCE will provide a chemical preparation area for you to prepare your chemicals. We will provide student help with the transport of materials and for the set up and tear down of workshops and we will provide consultation with our Workshop and Chemical Demonstration Chairs. The workshop chemical preparation area will be available Friday, 27 July through Sunday, 29 July 2018 from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM each day. We will post the hours of operations of this room for other days of the 25th BCCE. Common laboratory glassware, equipment, & preparation materials will be available for your use. The available equipment and other supplies are listed at the end of document, "Safety Regulations". If you provide us with a list of materials and equipment needed well in advance of the workshops, we will TRY to accommodate your request. Workshop leaders will follow the same rules and guidelines for working with chemicals as the chemical demonstrators. Workshop leaders are responsible for the purchase/acquisition of any expensive or unusual chemical(s). Workshop leaders are expected to follow the proper OSHA/EPA/DOT guidelines for the transport of chemicals. It may be possible to request the purchase of items through our Workshop Chair with the cost of those items being added to your workshop budget and the cost deducted from the reimbursement (ND has an onsite VWR stockroom). Workshop leaders are expected to review the ND Chemical Safety and Hygiene rules prior to arriving on campus. Chemical Demonstrators and Workshop leaders working with chemicals must attend a Chemical Safety and Chemical Disposal meeting with the Workshop Chair on either 28 or 29 July 2018 at 5 pm each day. Failure to attend one of these meetings will result in the cancellation of the workshop/demonstration with no reimbursement provided for the workshop materials.
10. If a workshop involves loading a computer program and or downloading plug-ins, the software and a copy of the license must be sent to DeeAnne Goodenough, c/o 25th BCCE Workshop, (Your Name and Workshop Number) , 236 Jordan Hall, Notre Dame, IN 46556 by 4 May 2018.
11. Workshop leaders who are using computers, software, and multi-sync projectors should plan to arrive on campus starting Friday morning, 27 July 2018, in order to test and trouble shoot their software, computers, and multi-sync projectors.
12. Workshop leaders should start arriving on campus by Friday 27 July 2018 and must be on campus at least 24 hours before their scheduled workshop in order to complete preparations.
13. If a workshop leader needs to purchase supplies or materials from locations off-campus, there will be a van that will available to transport the workshop leader to local locations. The van will make one run late Saturday afternoon, 28 July 2018 and one run late Sunday afternoon, 29 July 2018. Addition trips may be scheduled through the Workshop Chair. The workshop leader is responsible for paying for the needed supplies.
14. You will be informed of the day and time of your workshop by 11 April 2018 . You will be informed of the number of registered participants for your workshop by 15 June 2018, after early registration for the conference closes and week prior to the start of the conference.
15. The 25th BCCE committee will provide some student helpers to assist the workshop leaders with reasonable tasks associated with unloading equipment & material from a van, setting-up & taking down workshops, loading equipment and materials into a van if a request is made to have student helpers. Carts will be provided.
16. Every effort will be made to schedule workshops in rooms with appropriate AV materials. Please include all AV needs on your Workshop Proposal. Not all laboratory spaces come equipped with AV equipment, therefore it is important to have a complete listing of your needs with the proposal. Additional AV equipment may be available at an additional cost to the workshop. All AV needs MUST be submitted by 2 July 2018.
Recent BCCE have had over 100 workshop sessions.
Typically workshops are half-day sessions. These may be lab-based, computer-based, hands-on discussions, etc.
There is usually a minimal cost in attending the workshop -- $10 to $50 per session to cover costs of materials and equipment..
Dr. Steven Wietstock
General Chair, BCCE 2018
331 Jordan Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
The University of Notre Dame